At the end of the Revolutionary War, the Admiral Warren seriously was considered as a site for the county seat of Chester County. Because Mather and the Penn family were Tories, however, the matter was dropped.
Established in 1721, the White Horse Tavern was built along Swedesford Road - the oldest road in the state. It was a drover's tavern, used as a stop for farmers who drove their livestock to market in Philadelphia.
During the American Revolution, the tavern was a busy site because of its location between Lancaster, where the Continental Congress was meeting, and George Washington's encampment at Valley Forge.