Lock Aerie

William Lockwood, a successful Philadelphia manufacturer, acquired the property in 1863. He hired noted Philadelphia architect Addison Hutton to design the Victorian villa. The property also included a water supply system, gas works and a small lake and fountain.

Mr. Lockwood made his fortune in celluloid collars. His original tract consisted of 640 acres. This area became known as the village of Glenloch. 

At one time, it would have been feasible to travel on Lancaster Avenue along Frame Avenue to another village known as Whitehorse and the Whitehorse Tavern on Swedesford Road. 

Lock Aerie is located at 700 Swedesford Road. 
Lock Aerie